How to measure for a moissanite engagement ring?
Measuring for a moissanite engagement ring involves determining the correct ring size, which can be done in a few different ways.
Here are three common methods:
- Use a Ring Sizer: A ring sizer is a set of metal or plastic rings in various sizes that you can try on to find the perfect fit. You can purchase a ring sizer online or from a jewellery store, or some jewellers may provide a ring sizer for free.
- Measure with a String or Paper: Wrap a string or a strip of paper around the base of the finger where you will wear the ring. Mark the point where the string or paper overlaps and measure the length with a ruler. Compare the measurement to a ring size chart to find the correct size.
- Use an Existing Ring: If the person you are buying the ring for already has a ring that fits well, you can measure the inside diameter of the ring with a ruler or calliper. Compare the measurement to a ring size chart to find the correct size.
- Consider the style of the ring: The style of the ring can affect the fit, so if you’re purchasing a ring with a wider band, you may need to go up half a size to ensure it fits comfortably.
- Think about lifestyle and comfort: If the person you are buying the ring for has an active lifestyle or works with their hands, they may prefer a slightly looser fit to ensure the ring is comfortable during activities. On the other hand, if they prefer a snug fit, they may prefer a slightly smaller size.
- Get help from a professional: If you’re still unsure about the size, a professional jeweller can help you determine the correct size using precise measuring tools.
- Keep in mind cultural differences: Different countries may have slightly different sizing systems, so if you’re purchasing a ring from an international source, make sure to check their sizing system and convert it to the local sizing system to ensure the correct fit.
- Consider the season: Finger sizes can vary depending on the weather. In colder months, fingers tend to be smaller, so you may need to go down a half size. In warmer months, fingers tend to be larger, so you may need to go up a half size.
- Measure multiple times: To ensure accuracy, it’s a good idea to measure the finger multiple times at different times of day to get a more accurate measurement.
- Consider the width of the ring: The width of the ring can also affect the fit. For wider bands, you may need to go up a half size to ensure a comfortable fit.
- Keep in mind any potential weight gain or loss: If the person you are buying the ring for is planning on losing weight, you may need to consider going down a half size. If they are planning on gaining weight, you may need to consider going up a half size.
It’s important to note that fingers can vary in size throughout the day due to temperature changes or other factors, so it’s best to measure when the fingers are at their usual size, which is usually in the afternoon or evening. Also, keep in mind that engagement rings can be resized if needed, so it’s better to err on the larger side if you’re not sure.